TaxCut Deluxe Review
We highly recommend that you use the H&R Block online filing program to work on your return. You can start right now, and pay nothing until you decide to file, while using the program's extensive features and help files.
If you prefer to work on your return using software installed on your computer, then the TaxCut family of products will fulfill this function on a budget.
TaxCut Deluxe, at a glance:
• only 19.95 after $5 rebate
• step-by-step filing guide
• free e-filing w/rebate
• free Next-Day Delivery
Our review of TaxCut Deluxe
Overall rating: (out of 5)
TaxCut Deluxe is H&R Block's best selling tax preparation product.
But will it fulfill your needs?
That really depends on how complicated your return is likely to be. This Deluxe version is really fairly complete, however, it lacks certain advanced functions needed when itemizing deductions, reporting investment income/loss, and certain self-employment income and expenses. (These are covered in the TaxCut Platinum and Home & Business editions.)
However, if none of these apply to you, than TaxCut Deluxe, together with its state version (free with rebate) will do the job just fine.
Save $300-400 or more with discount rates from all major insurance carriers, as well as local companies. It's like getting a nice refund in April!
You'll get multiple quotes, all for free. It couldn't be easier.
A look at the software's features
• FREE! TaxCut State program and Electronic Filing after mail-in rebates. Simply complete the mail-in rebate forms and send it in with the required proofs of purchase.
• FREE! TaxCut Financial Planners Assists you in determining if your investments support your financial goals and if your asset allocation matches your risk tolerance. You can also create "what-if" scenarios for future savings.
• NEW! 9-Year Tax Preview Shows you all the ways in which the tax legislation of 2011 will affect you now and in the future, from how your standard deduction will change, to how tax brackets will change, and projects your taxes over the next nine years.
• NEW! Home Office Assistant Enables you to maximize your home office tax benefits by walking you through a series of questions to see if your home office qualifies for tax purposes.
• NEW! Retirement Savings Enhancer Provides ways to increase your tax and retirement savings to ensure you get the most out of you 401(k).
• IMPROVED! Error Check Catches mistakes or omissions that could cost you money or flag your return for an IRS audit. This improved functionality makes it easy to correct mistakes, ensuring that your return is error free!
• IMPROVED! Entry Manager Tracks where your data originates, guides you to related forms and itemizes your entries. It also allows you to flag entries as tentative for you to go back and review before you finalize your return.
• TaxCut Video Tax Advice Listen to TaxCut and Kiplinger experts share tips on how to get the most out of your tax return. Learn how changes in your life affect your taxes and save money by following simple strategies.
• IRS Publications Answers questions on specific forms and provides details about particular tax situations. The publications are updated annually to reflect IRS changes. Be sure to also visit Help Central for additional tax tips and IRS instructions.
• Kiplinger Publications Practical Guide to Your Money helps you control debt, minimize your taxes and stay ahead of inflation. Buying & Selling a Home takes you through the home buying process, from assessing your resources to applying for a loan. Practical Guide to Investing tells you how to make your money work for you, and Retire Worry-Free helps you plan for the future without fear.
• TaxCut Tax Assistant Law Helps you understand the implications of the changing tax laws, provides information about how the changes affect your taxes now and in the future and ensures you get the maximum tax benefit possible under the new laws.
• Auto Entry Automatically imports W-2 and 1099 information from participating employers and financial institutions. Auto Entry saves you valuable time and prevents costly data entry errors. Multiple W-2s are easy to deal with when using Auto Entry.
• Seamless financial data imports from H&R Block®, Quicken® and Microsoft® Money transfers your tax and financial information from last year's H&R Block®, Quicken® 2000-2011 and Microsoft® Money 2000-2011 into TaxCut for speed and accuracy.
• Kiplinger Advice Gives you trusted tax advice from the financial experts at Kiplinger.
• TaxCut Home Mortgage Advisor Provides customized advice based on your current tax situation, including advice on consolidating debt under a home equity loan and . ensures you get the full benefit of interest and points paid. If you are a renter, TaxCut tells you how much you could save in taxes by purchasing a new home.
• TaxCut IRA Advisor Explains the differences between Roth and traditional IRAs and determines which account would provide maximum benefit for your tax situation.
• TaxCut Express IRA Once you've chosen which IRA is best for you, go ahead and instantly open one with part or all of your tax refund! Just complete an application to open a traditional or Roth IRA account and include the deduction on this year's tax return. It's a seamless, paperless way to open an IRA.
• Ask A Tax Advisor Partners you with an TaxCut tax professional to answer specific questions about your tax return to ensure you're maximizing your tax savings and planning for next year (additional fees apply).