(Scroll down for download instructions and links to additional forms)
If you want to avoid costly mistakes, while at the same time taking advantage of all credits and deductions, you'll want to do your taxes with TurboTax this year.
TurboTax helps you work quickly and easily, and it double-checks your return to help you get the largest possible refund. You can even file your state taxes and get your state refund (which may be substantial) much faster than if you mail a paper return.
You must use form 1040 if you have:
• Income over $50,000.
• Income from:
- state and local income tax refunds,
- capital gains,
- alimony, or
- any other unconventional sources.
• itemized deductions
• income adjustments for:
- alimony paid,
- penalty for early savings withdraw,
- contribution to Keogh, SEP and SIMPLE plans,
- self-employment tax or health insurance,
- Medical Saving Account deduction, and
- moving expenses.
• taxes from:
- retirement plans,
- tax on tips not reported to employer,
- uncollected Medicare and social security tax,
- lump sum distribution tax, and
- household employment tax.
• credits for:
- general business,
- foreign tax,
- federal tax on fuels,
- mortgage interest, and
- prior year minimum tax.
• additional taxes, credit or adjustments not listed.
If any of the above criteria apply to you, you must complete form 1040, or file electronically, and get your refund 2-3 weeks faster.
To download IRS form 1040, click here
To download the form 1040 Instructions Booklet click here
Most people who file form 1040 also need to complete additional documents, called schedules, as well as worksheets, to help them with certain calculations. To figure out which schedules you need, consult the main 1040 form, and the form's Instructions Booklet, or simply file electronically.
Form 1040, Schedules A & B - Itemized Deductions & Interest and Dividend Income
Form 1040, Schedule C - Profit or Loss From Business
Form 1040, Schedule C-EZ - Net Profit from Business
Form 1040, Schedule D - Capital Gains and Losses (& Home Sales)
Form 1040, Schedule D-1 - Long & Short Term Capital Gains/Losses
Form 1040, Schedule E- Supplemental Income and Loss
Form 1040/1040A, Schedule EIC - Earned Income Credit
Form 1040, Schedule F - Farm Income and Expenses
Form 1040, Schedule H - Household Employment Taxes
Form 1040, Schedule J - Farm Income Averaging
Form 1040, Schedule R - Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled
Form 1040, Schedule SE - Self-Employment Tax
For additional forms, see our partial list federal tax forms.
TurboTax Premier allows you to put away all forms, schedules and worksheets, and instead answer plain-English questions in a simple online questionnaire.
All the calculations are performed for you, and you get the benefit of knowing that all possible credits and deductions are accounted for.
Best of all, you can work on your return for free, and pay nothing until you file.
Try it now.
Here are some more ways in which TurboTax Premier can help make filing your return easier:
Answer only questions that apply to you
Dramatically simplifies tax preparation by streamlining the interview, bypassing questions that don't apply to you.
Advice for New Tax Laws
Takes advantage of new laws to make the most of every new tax break.
Prepares for Next Year's Taxes
Automatically sets up data for next year's taxes as you prepare this year's taxes.
Plus EVERYTHING in the Deluxe Edition:
• Step by step interview that walks you through your return
• Automatically fills out form 1040 and all schedules for you
• Get your investment, mortgage, and wage data instantly
• Get the deductions you deserve
• Takes advantage of new tax laws
• Automatically double-checks for overlooked deductions and missed opportunities
• File your state return too!
Try TurboTax Premier for Free Now