Tax Filing Basics
If you know little about tax filing, or if you need a refresher course, this quick guide will get you started.
Note: if you have more complicated questions about tax filing, scroll down to see an expanded list of all our in-depth topic guides.
There's much more tax filing help if you need it
If you decide to file a paper return, be prepared for either at least a little work, or a lot, depending on your particular situation.
If you ever need additional help, our guides are here to help you answer any tax filing questions that you might have:
• Taxable Income Types - Explains what types of income are taxable, and how each is reported.
• Capital Gains Tax Laws - Helps you makes sense of this often-mentioned but seldom-understood subject.
• Tax Credits - Information about each of the major tax credits
• Tax Deductions - Information about each of the major tax deductions and how to claim them when you e-file.
• IRS Tax Forms - Find out which Irs tax forms to file, download any and all forms and publications you might need, and learn more about electronic filing.
Filing your taxes is easy
Use H&R Block this year, and you are guaranteed the biggest refund, the most accurate return, and the piece of mind of knowing that the IRS has received your filing.
Choose from the free program for simple returns, to the deluxe and premier products for those filing a full 1040 with schedules C/D and other forms.
You can have your return reviewed by a tax pro, too!